Tuesday 10 April 2012

We have all the holidays continued...

First of all I am so sorry to have taken so long to get blogging. I swear it's always one thing after another and time just fly's by and gets taken up doing things that just don't seem to be very exciting i.e. work, university modules, general things around the house, you know what I'm talking about.

Back to my main blogging point. Mine and Anthony's holiday was amazing, just what the doctor ordered, a week of relaxing, good food and some exploring around the beautiful Peak District. I felt so refreshed when I got home, ready to take on the world!

The amazing views from the Heights of Abraham.
Totally unexpected after just coming out of an underground cavern.


Our cottage was all I thought it would be, so cosy and comfortable and perfect for the two if us to chill out and forget about all the stresses of work and everyday life. As well as the cottage being perfect so was the location, everything was in walking distance, attractions, walks, pubs, cafes and shops. We spend a good few days in village doing various things which was handy due to the petrol 'not' crisis which was happening, we were lucky enough to fill up our cars in time to go home.

My favourite pub Ye Olde Chester Cheese Inn, not just because it has cheese in its name (I love cheese!) but it was a lovely traditional pub the most friendly atmosphere. We ate here one night and it was really yummy. I had a potato, leek and stilton crumble which was the most delicious thing I have ever tasted if anyone has a recipe please let me know.

My favourite pub in a village.




We had a pretty jam packed week which included, exploring underground caverns, visiting little towns, a castle, eating really lovely food in the local pubs and restaurants, walking and most of all enjoying the breath taking views and lovely weather which we were so lucky to have, considering it was the last week in March.

Peak Cavern.

Cavern enterance.


Extra prepared to get down in the cavern! Hard hats are the new fashion.

On the second day of our holiday we went to visit the ruins on an old castle which was really fun, even if I did nearly die by climbing up the massive steep hill to get there. People in their late seventies were getting up the hill quicker than me. It was worth it the views were amazing! I could have sat up there all day, it was quite quiet apart from the voices of children playing and a group having a barbeque (which was an amazing idea, I'm gutted we didn't think of it first). 


The view from the top of Pervil Castle.

Being held prisoner.

Anthony possing infront of the beautiful view.

We visited Bakewell which was a pretty little town although busy, not surprising as there was a weekly market on, the old folk loved it and they were everywhere. We obviously had to buy a Bakewell tart and also a Bakewell pudding. I'm not the biggest lover of Bakewell tarts but there was something about this one that tasted lovely. Most of the bakeries have their own unique feel and a different take on the tart. Somewhere I would highly recommend visiting. It also has a beautiful park that is open to visitors. 

The yummy cakes, puddings and tarts of Bakewell.

Whilst on holiday I had my first cable car experience. It was terrifying! Being god knows how high from the ground with nothing underneath you but a river and a road. In all honesty it beats walking up the mother of all hills though. It was such a fun day out and great value for money, the Heights of Abraham are definite must if you're in the area. It has two caverns, one with a model miner called John who gives you a small history lesson; both of the caverns are inclusive of a tour guide. Just remember to take a jacket, it gets quite nippy down there. 

The face of terror in the cable car.


Now you see them...
Now you don't.

Of course we couldn't be grown up and responsible all week! We had to have a little silliness, this was such an awesome slide, had a good steep drop and I slide like never before! 
Such a big kid.
Also a big kid...




 Yes I did get to feed the goats and other farm animals :D They were so cute, it also had chickens, rabbits, lambs, quails and various other farm animals, along with all this it has an adorable farm shop full of local produce which we took full advantage of.


The cute little goat family.
This just says it all :D
It was such an amazing week and I cannot wait for our next week away, we're off to Somerset. There will be plenty of cider and sausages, and the best bit is we have a hot tub. So after a long day of walking and excitement we can chill out with a glass of cider (just because it's West Country like) and relax.



No comments:

Post a Comment